Google

Thursday, March 22, 2007

March Training

We had our monthly training for AmCare last night. The topic was Shock, Fluids, and Electrolytes. Good topics to brush up on, especially as they contain significant elements of both BLS and ALS care. I can never hear enough of the message that my colleague and Sat. nite partner Clem is often reminding us of: All the ALS stuff in the world is worthless if you forget the basics. Makes sense and seems so obvious, but I don't ever want to realize too late that I forgot to keep my shocky patient warm while I was worrying about IV access. Gotta thank Curt (AmCare's Training Officer) for bringing that up in training last night. I feel grateful that we have so many good teachers to learn from.

Our ICO (Infection Control Officer) gave a talk on BSI and some new policies being implemented to try to minimize our risk of an exposure. She is establishing alot of new procedures, but thankfully everyone seems to be on board with them. Change doesn't always come easy, especially if you were originally trained a certain way and have been doing it the same way for a long time. I think everyone is realizing though that without a very formal and regimented system for handling issues as they relate to staying safe on the job, that it would be all too easy to get lax. I want to be always as well prepared as possible.

No comments: